#1927: Re: #1895: U.S. tourist shot dead in Haiti : Bell responds to Poincy

From: Mark Gill <markgill@midwest.net>

Poincy writes:

>         To resolve the situation, I favor stopping short the election process,
> amend the constitution to abolish popular and direct elections for at
> least a generation, make effective an indefinite state of emergency if
> need be to make these decisions viable. Meanwhile strict measures would
> be put in place to control and guide the people to the well-being they
> are seeking for and don't know how to go about getting it.

     ***this view suggests the old idea of a "benevolent dictatorship",
which we have heard for a long time....but, how does one have any
assurance that those who would fight for this position have any
different motivation that those who are pushing for
democracy?  i cant recall a dictator of the past whose desire was to
insure the well-being of the people.......