#1987: HRIFA Extension Sign-On Letter (fwd)

From: Merrill Smith <advocacy@bellatlantic.net>

Senator Graham will introduce legislation early this week extending the
deadline for the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act and NACARA
§202 applications by one year from the date of final regulations.

I reprint the text of the bill as I have transcribed it for email.

We need to get letters of support out to Senator Graham as soon as
possible.

Following the text of the bill I offer a draft letter of support. I will
be happy to receive organizational endorsements to add on 'sign-on'
fashion. (Just foward this back to me with your name, title,
organization and address by email.) I need to get at least some version
of this to Graham's office by 10 am tomorrow (Tuesday) morning with
whatever endorsements are possible by then. We may, however, have more
time later to add more.

Of course, you can do your own letters, cribbing as much from this one
as you care to.

The Letter:

Via Facsimile (202) 224-2237

Office of the Honorable Bob Graham
524 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510

		Re: Extension of HRIFA/NACARA Filing Deadlines

Dear Senator Graham:

        We are greatly encouraged that you are introducing legislation
to extend the deadlines for applications under the Nicaraguan Adjustment
and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) and the Haitian Refugee
Immigration Fairness Act (HRIFA).

        As you know, more than two years has passed since the passage of
NACARA and more than one since the passage of HRIFA and the INS has yet
to issue final regulations implementing these laws. The statutory
deadline for applications under both laws, April 1, 2000, is fast
approaching.

        Interim regulations contained unreasonably burdensome
documentary requirements, excessive fees and lack of appropriate
consideration for special groups such as abandoned children and refugees
who were
compelled to use false documents in order to flee. These and other
deficiencies have, to date, prevented all but a minority of those
eligible to file their applications.

        Hundreds of comments were filed critiquing these and other
restrictions as inconsistent with the remedial intent of Congress. We
certainly hope that the INS will give full and fair consideration to
these comments and ameliorate the shortcomings in the final version.
Nevertheless, it is
now apparent that any such improvements will be largely, if not
completely, negated by the short time remaining before the deadline.

        Accordingly, it is fitting and proper to extend the deadlines to
one year following the promulgation of such final regulations so that
the intended beneficiaries of this important legislation receive the
full
measure of justice provided under law.

        Thank you for your support and kind consideration of our views.

                                       Respectfully,

The Bill
Note: this is my own, _unofficial_ transcription of the bill
106th CONGRESS
2d Session                      S. _______

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

Mr. GRAHAM introduced the following bill; which was read twice and
referred to the Committee on ________________________________________

A BILL

To extend filing deadlines for applications for adjustment of status of
certain Cuban, Nicaraguan, and Haitian nationals.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United
States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. EXTENSION OF FILING DEADLINES FOR APPLICATIONS FOR ADJUSTMENT
OF STATUS OF CERTAIN CUBAN, NICARAGUAN, AND HAITIAN NATIONALS.

        (a) NICARAGUAN ADJUSTMENT AND CENTRAL AMERICAN RELIEF ACT. --
Notwithstanding the expiration of the application filing deadline in
section 202(a)(1) of the Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American
Relief Act (as contained in Public Law 105-100; 8 U.S.C. 1255 note), a
Cuban or Nicaraguan national who is otherwise eligible for adjustment of
status through the date that is one year after the date of promulgation
by the Attorney General of final regulations for the implementation of
that section.

        (b) HAITIAN REFUGEE IMMIGRATION FAIRNESS ACT. -- Notwithstanding
the expiration of the application filing deadline in section 902(a) of
the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act of 1998 (as added by
section
101(h) of Division A of Public Law 105-277), a Haitian national who is
otherwise eligible for adjustment of status under that section may apply
for that status through the date that is one year after the date of

--
Merrill Smith
Haiti Advocacy, Inc.