#2056: Prisoner and "Prostitute" (Response to #1999): Perdue comments

From: Perdue and Persinos <vtandwi@erols.com>

 In my research on the early history of northeastern Haiti for my
"History of Fort Liberte and the Dauphin Plantation", I found a book
that meets most of the criteria mentioned in Corbett #1999.  There is a
prisoner, a woman, prison "bars" (but no glass wall) and it is a
classic, published in 1805.

The author, Marcus Rainsford, was a British army officer, imprisoned in
Fort Liberte. The title (hold your breath):  "An Historical Account of
the Black Empire of Haiti: Comprehending a View of Saint Domingo with
its Antient and Modern State".

Published by James Cundee, Albion Press (presumably in London), 1805.

Interesting reading but I suspect facts are well embelished with
fiction.

Bob Perdue