#2577: $$$ to Haiti: Chamberlain asks and Bell replies

From: madison bell <mbell@goucher.edu>

Greg, and anybody... I've good experience with Unibank, which will now open
savings accounts in US dollars with a minimum balance of $100.00.  These
means you need your recipient to be capable of maintaining that balance (I
recognize that this is truly difficult for lots of people, even if you
furnish the 100 bucks yourself and say, look, this is just to keep the
account open, it's not real money, don't take it out....)  But if you get
over that hurdle, you can send wire transfers.  Unibank charges (or did the
last time I used the service) 27$ FLAT FEE for wires, so obviously it's not
really worth it to send fifty bucks.  On the other hand, with the account
in place you can simply mail a check in US dollars and it will be negotiable.

         I have such an account in my own name now, which spares me the
trouble of hiding cash in all my... well, never mind.

Before Unibank I used western Union but they charge nigh on ten percent of
the amount you send, which is mighty discouraging.

msb