#2580: Response to Goff: Caribbean Comparison (fwd)

From: patrick richard <rich0303@hotmail.com>

Dear Goff,

It is true that Cuba has made significant improvements during the last 45
years in terms of Human development(Education and Health care). Although,
the new view on economic development includes, among other indicators,
political freedom, personal security, the rule of law, freedom of
expression, and political participation. ( See UNDP or Tadaro, for a
complete definition). It is also true that these comparative social
indicators are very revealing of our wrenching and disastrous situation.
However, to explain our underdevelopment solely by some sort of dependence
or dominance relationship with the US and free markets, is irresponsible and
simplistic. ( A similar thesis was advanced by the international dependence
models during the 1970's: The neocolonial model, the false paradigm model
and the dualistic-development thesis. No wonder Aristide uses this kind of
rhetoric invariably in his speeches. It is so easy. What a demagogue!).
Passons. Although, I concede these are "externalities." Literally speaking,
it is a fallacy to think that Haiti has practiced free market economy for
the last 45 years. True, free markets per se do not work in developing
countries, not just Haiti. (Another subject)
( I tend to refrain myself from offering my humble opinions concerning the
path  of an economic development for Haiti).

More, your alternative (implicitly) of adopting the cuban model, reflects
our tendency to propose easy solutions to complex problems. On the other
hand, empirical studies of international comparisons show conclusively that
there is a strong correlation between democracy, political and civil rights
and economic development (based on statistical testing over wide-range
data). This contradicts the "Lee Hypothesis" (Lee Ruan Yeu of Singapore) or
Gunmar Myrdal(Asian Drama, 1964). Please be wary of very selective and
limited information. True, there is no panacea to economic development.
Nevertheless, a search for an effective approach should not consist of
swinging to another extreme. A proper balance is of the essence. A judicious
mixture won't be found until we stop blaming others and take charge of our
destiny.

Patrick Richard