#2695: Reply to Antoine (fwd)

From:Moibibi@aol.com

> How the Vodou clergy in Haiti helps the Vodouisants in their temporal lives
and their human > and economic development?

The Vodoun clergy is as affected by the economic crisis Haïti is going trough
as most of the Haitian population.

Nevertheless, one has to remember that Vodoun was at the very core of the
foundation of our Nation. Today our hounfò are still a model of what
independence means and we should feel proud that they have survived in spite
of the many attacks against them. Hougans and Mambos do not ask for charity
from anyone.

Our  "manjé pòv", our  "manjé prisonyé" are good examples of  altruism in
Vodoun.
Our public services are times of sharing among all participants and
spectators alike.

Our hounfò are still the place where all Haitians can feel proud of their
heritage and of whom they are. This may have no monetary value but what is
the economic value of spirituality and morality in any society? To say the
least, it maintains a healthy, balanced society capable of facing the
multiple challenges of life.

If some Hougans or Mambos in Haiti have to resort to mercantilism to exists,
it only happens for a limited period of time.

"Si n'tonbé, na levé" , if we fall we shall rise again (extract from a Vodoun
song)

Bébé Pierre Louis