#2700: Politics of Drug Certification: Dorce comments

From:LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 03/04/2000 12:53:45 PM Pacific Standard Time, Lynn Selby
<lynnselby@yahoo.com writes:

<< It is interesting to think of the U.S.'s
 responsibility of reducing the demand for drugs on the
 part of its consumers, and how this would impact the
 drug trade in Haiti.  >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It was September or October of 1984 and I was staying at the Oloffson in one
of the two rooms looking over the pool.  As usual there was an interesting
group staying there or just coming over for dinner.  As I was vacationing
alone, an American man who was staying elsewhere asked me if I would have
dinner with him and I accepted.  He was trying to impress me so he was
forthcoming about his status with the US government and what he was doing in
Haiti....he whispered this to me conspiratorially.  He said he was with the
Treasury Department (I think....) and was investigating whether Haiti was
being used as a conduit for drugs.  I may have laughed, as it was my
impression that Haiti was comparatively drug free but he stopped me with a
stern look. He assured me it was no joke and he was going to look everywhere
for evidence of it.  Years later, it occurs to me that this man may have been
an agent for the US government all right, but instead of ferreting out drug
smuggling, perhaps he was looking for ways and means of same for CIA (read
nefarious) purposes.  I know that sounds paranoid but all things are not
above the table and as they seem.  I wonder if Suzanne Seitz remembers this
man.  I found him unlikable.  If the US government was wise to Colombia using
Haiti as a staging place to transport cocaine into the states in 1984 at the
infant stage, why then has it blossomed to the horrific monster it is now??
Verrrrrry interesting if you ask me.

Kathy Dorcé