#2763: Grey replies to several

From:Racine125@aol.com
To: bcorbett@netcom.com
Subject: Re: #2757: A reply to Antoine

In a message dated 3/7/2000 12:56:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Moibibi@aol.com writes:

<< The knowledge we have inherited from our forefathers is quite useful for
 those who don't have the means nor the knowledge to buy western medicine. It
 is also much safer. Do you know that outdated drugs are frequently sold in
 pharmacies, that medications which should be kept refrigerated are also sold
 after having been kept on shelf  for months at a temperature of 85 degrees?
<<SNIP>>
<< I recommend you to read  www.Vodou.org, the article "Of Herbs and
Energies",
 it might help in changing some of your presupposed ideas.  >>

Actually, both Moibibi and Antoine have valid points.

The root of the problem is not "ignorant superstition", but the utter and
abysmal failure of successive kleptocracies to establish a cogent, effective
public health program in Haiti.  Whether it's Christian "faith healing" or
cockroaches, people can not be blamed for seeking alternatives, even if they
don't work very well. (By the way, the purpose of the cockroach, or the
boiled rat used for typhoid in Jamaica, is to stimulate the immune system,
it's not total idiocy.)

Haitian culture does indeed offer a pharmacopia of herbal remedies.  The site
Moibibi points to, however, is run by Max Beauvoir, who has rendered himself
execrable by claiming to be able to cure AIDS, fer cryin' out loud.  He and
other greedy, callous Houngans and pastors who take money from people ill
with this malady are vile, filthy opportunists who effectively shorten the
lives of AIDS patients, who take their treatments instead of, rather than *in
addition to*, the protease inhibitors that could prolong their lives.

SO!  Now that I am an equal-opportunity offender, what do I propose?

Access to allopathic medical care, supported and complemented by traditional
healing.  This is the approach of many public health agencies serving
Haitians and Haitian Americans in the USA now - give the allopathic care and
respect the tradition at the same time, use both methods of healing.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>