#2872: Old books and newspaper articles

>From Bob Corbett

Just a few days ago I posted a note in which I mentioned that my two
most wanted books were:

	-- David Geggus:  THE MAJOR PORT TOWNS OF SAINT DOMINGUE IN THE
LATER EIGHTEENTH CENTURY
	and
	-- Willam A. MacCorkle: THE MONROE DOCTRINE IN ITS RELATION TO
THE REPULIC OF HAITI (1915).

Both had been on my want list for more than ten years.

The next day two startling things happened.  First John Garrigus, list
member, wrote to tell me I was wasting my time trying to find the
Geggus "book," it wasn't a book at all, but an article and could be found
in the book: ATLANTIC PORT CITIES, edited by Franklin w. Knight and Peggy
K. Liss.

As luck would have it the city library of St. Louis had this book, and
since we have little store front pick-up branches throughout the city,
they delivered it to one down the street from me and I have it now.
The article is wonderful, and already I've added to my web site
list of disasters in Haiti with more data on the 1770 earthquake and
a 1774 fire which destroyed much of Port-au-Prince.  You can benefit
from that updating by seeing the file I have on my web site:

A List of Disasters in Hait

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/misctopic/disaster/listofdis.htm

If I can get permission from David Geggus or the publisher of that
book, I will eventually post his whole article on my web site, but I'll
have to see if the permission comes.

==================

That same day I was looking at a web site of a used book dealer and
my eyes about popped out.  There was the MacCorckle book, the first
time I had ever seen it for sale.  I didn't even use e-mail.  I called
the dealer in Kentucky, and this morning I got the book in the mail.  It
is a very beat up copy, but it is all there and I now have it in my library.
I would think I am free to scan it on-line, but that will take time, it's
a small book, 104 small pages, but that's lots of scanning.

Now, while I still have an extensive list of books that I want for
my library, (you can see the list at:)

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/library/mostwant.htm

I don't currently have a single one that stands out as "# 1 want"
There had been a novel of Hugh Cave's that I had never even heard of,
but finally Hugh, with some reluctance, donated his last copy to my
library.  Yet,  the list has a few dozen items which just keep
eluding my searches.

====================

I'm on Spring Break this week and have been entering some materials into
my library program that have been waiting, unacknowledged for months.
In doing so I came across three old newspapers which I purchased, and
ended up scanning all three on to my web site.  One I had earlier put
on list, but now it is available in nicer copy on my web site --
the 1805 Haitian Constitution.

The three new items on my web page are:

THE 1805 CONSTITUTION OF HAITI

SECOND CONSTITUTION OF HAITI (HAYTI) MAY 20, 1805.

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/history/earlyhaiti/1805-const.htm

============================
TOUSSAINT TAKES SPANISH SAINT DOMINGO FOR FRANCE

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/history/revolution/takes-dr.htm

THE HAYTIAN BUTCHERY

Additional Details of the Horrible Scenes Being Enacted by President
Hippolyte's Order.

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/misctopic/texts/butchery.htm

I do have plans to keep adding scanned material to my web site
as I can get it done.  It's a slow process.

Best,  Bob Corbett