#2934: OLD HOME MOVIES : Pina comments

From: kevin pina <cariborganics@hotmail.com>

>From Kevin Pina

keywords: historical footage, TNH, coup

It is facinating to see how much footage is out there in the world, private
collections or otherwise, concerning Haitian history. I would love to see a
lot of what has been recounted on this list.

I had the wonderful opportunity to copy a good deal of Haitian National
Television archives just prior to the coup which included footage of Baby
Doc's rule, Namphy's rule, Manigat's faux presidency, the 1987 elections,
news reports from the 1990 election campaign, the Lafontant attempted coup
and a great deal more. After the coup, the staff of TNH used a lot of the
tape stock to rerecord over and I understand it was subsequently lost. It is
my hope to someday return it to their archives intact when the climate
permits.

I also had the rare opportunity to view and make copies of a lot of what the
US marines shot during the occupation including a two minute segment on the
arrest of Charlemagne Peralte.  It was housed in a airforce base in
California and much of it was filmed on the old silver nitrate stock making
it very chemically unstable.  Before the captain in charge realized its
importance (they had just been contacted by the US National Archives) I
managed to get them to allow me to pay for the video transfer fees and
received master copies.

Combined with my original footage of the Aristide campaign, his presidency
and the 1991 coup, I now have more than 180 hours of Haitian history in my
archives in SF. It is my sincere desire that I will have the opportunity to
return this material to Haiti for future generations of filmmakers to take
advantage of in telling and re-telling this facinating history.

Kevin Pina
Producer/Director  "Haiti:Harvest of Hope"