#2933: Re: Chirac claims Haiti was not a french colony (Reply to Saint-Vil) (fwd)

From: A. =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E9dard?= <amedard@gte.net>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I shared Saint-Vil's email with a non-list member concerning Chirac's
comments on Haiti and was asked to share the reply below.  If there are
any comments, I can either serve as go-between (so that everyone can
participate ... which might prove interesting) or you can, as indicated
in the message, write directly to the author.

> None of what Chirac said in his statement should be offensive. On the
> contrary, what he was saying is that Haiti was not a colony (in the way
> Martinique and parts of Canada and the US were). We were colonized by
the
> french for only a few years (I'm not 100% sure how long) and Chirac's
> point is that theirs, unlike the Spanish, was not a lasting legacy in
> Haiti (or Hispanola for that matter) even though we did adopt their
> language and some of their practices (political and others).
D-e-s-p-i-t-e
> this failure to have control and power over us (which is what colonizers

> seek to possess,) the french have continued their unnecessary but
> (thankfully) v-o-l-u-n-t-a-r-y support of our Caribbean Island, and
> plans to reinforce and strengthen this undying support as we enter the
new
> millenium. This is my interpretation of Chirac's address. If anyone has
> differing opinion, please share).  Make sure you don't bring baggage to
> the table though

<snip>

>...Don't r-e-a-d  i-n-t-o anything (i.e.,
> nowhere did Chirac imply what the writer cliamed he did about,
"relations
> with zenglendo as friendly"; please, no personal attacks (unless
> warranted) on Chirac or anyone else - if you do attack, explain
> yourself...you may be enlightened about something while others are still

> in the dark about the topic).
> Unless you know something I don't know, I don't think out of all the
> countries in the world, France, should be the one the writer attacks. Go

> for the U.S. instead.

<snip>

> There, will you find an adversary worthy of carrying the title of bully
and
> hypocrite as far as Haiti is concerned. (now baby, if you don't know why
> say this, you ain't no Haitian).
> Yes, I realize that my comments may come off as offensive or attacking,
> but that is not my intent. My goal is to educate others. One cannot
> throw out such statements

<snip>

> without backing up their comments with facts.

<snip>

> I'm going off like this because I'm tired of us Haitians blaming
everyone
> else for our mistakes.  The same "wine and cheese seeking sorry
Africans"