#3009: What does insecurity mean to haitians? Percy comments

From: Michele M Percy <chelep@strato.net>

In '97 while in Haiti, we encountered manifestations while traveling on Hwy
1 to PaP from just north of Montrois.  At first it was not a problem getting
around the road blocks and burning tires.  It wasn't the blan that was being
protested.  The closer we came to PaP, it became more difficult to get
beyond the road blocks until finally we took a back street to head back home
and encountered worse.  A group began to rock our Pajero as if to tip it
over.  Only because of our Haitian friend, Pastor Herve Pierre, were we
permitted safe passage.  We got back on Hwy 1 and eventually were forced to
leave our vehicles and walk to a point were we took a tap-tap back to
Lanzac.  We encountered rock throwing and saw molatov cocktails being made.
Quite scarey for an inexperienced blan!  Then again, I don't know that I'd
do differently if I didn't have electricity and potable water for my home!
I felt more secure walking past barricades than I did driving past them!
Were we really in danger?  I've been  back to Haiti on numerous occasions
since then and can't wait for my next trip!

Michele Percy