#3124: The Windows on Haiti site partially closing down as of May 1 (fwd)

From: Guy Antoine <GuyAntoine@windowsonhaiti.com>

The last week of April will mark the second anniversary of this vacation
week (?) in North Carolina, when I attempted to put together a web site
which became widely known as Windows on Haiti.  Little did I know at
the time that this effort would largely consume the next two years of my
life.  I reach this anniversary with the satisfaction of having given it my
all.

Due to lack of funds, I now find it necessary to close the Windows part
of the way, pending a reevaluation period during which I will investigate
alternative sources of sponsorship or the ultimate decision of closing
the Windows once and for all.  As of May 1, many of the interactive
features of the site, which require monitoring and maintenance will
shut down to further input, but the site itself will remain accessible for
most of what it already contains.

Some of the sections affected will be the Editorial, Calendaring, Forums,
Guestbook, and Documentary features.  Sections that will remain open
for now comprise the Creole Forum (Fowom Kreyol), which is the fruit of
my proud association with REKA in an effort to advance universal respect
for our mother tongue, the CD Reviews (Chronique Musicale) for as long
as Serge Bellegarde will continue to send them to me (Serge, I cannot
thank you enough!), and perhaps, just perhaps, if time permits, "Zonyon!",
the most recent addition to the site, the first issue of which was also sent
to the Corbett list.

This decision was not taken lightly, but as a result of gauging again
and again the amount of support Windows on Haiti actually receives.
Some of it was tangible, some of it enthusiastic, most of it silent.  I am
grateful for ALL OF IT.  As you know, some day, a car will run on air or
water.  I cannot wait for that day.

Until the end of April, I invite you once more to sign the Guestbook,
not to say that I have done a good job or created a nice site (I have
had plenty such compliments, thank you!) but to record your name
and involvement with Haiti, or how Haiti has affected your life.  I have
been blessed with some terrific entries doing just that.  As I celebrate
the second and perhaps final anniversary of Windows on Haiti, I truly
look forward to some more of that over the next few weeks.

Once again, I want to thank all who have supported the site or
contributed to its editorial contents, and dearly hope that the site has
served its function as a catalyst of good will towards Haiti, which is in
need of our focus, devotion, and courage, now more than ever.

Regards,
Guy S. Antoine
Look thru & Imagine!
http://windowsonhaiti.com