#3186: Fwd: Haiti Solidarity Meeting on electoral coup d'etat April 20 (fwd)

From: radman <resist@best.com>

We realize that progressive Haitians organizations in New York have
formed the Haitian Justice Coalition and called for a mass
demonstration Thursday, April 20th beginning at 10 am at Grand Army
Plaza in Brooklyn.  We encourage everyone who gets this notice to
go to that demonstration, if they can.  Showing  physical solidarity
with the Haitian community's demand for justice is very and vitally
important.

But the Haiti Support Network (HSN) still intends to hold a forum
that night, because Ben Dupuy, our featured speaker who is coming
from Haiti, will only be in New York for a day and because we feel
that understanding the way the United States government is attempting
to organize what Haitians call "The Electoral COUP D'ETAT" in Haiti
will help explain how the Haitian community in New York feels..

In September 1991, US and Haitian ruling groups fomented a military
coup d'etat against President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

Today, those same groups are conspiring to stop Aristide's reelection
bid later this year by meddling in the Haitian electoral process.

Meanwhile, cops from New York and other US cities have taught the
new Haitian police their methods of repression and espionage.  US
troops are still deployed in small bases around the country.  Hunger
is deepening.  Anger is growing.

Come hear Ben Dupuy direct from Haiti and others speak about how
the Haitian people are fighting back and how their struggle in
Haiti ties into the struggle here for justice, an end to police
brutality and to the death penalty as well as a new trial for Mumia.

Come hear:

   BEN DUPUY, Secretary General, National Popular Party (PPN)
   RAY LAFOREST, trade unionist and member of HSN
   IMANI HENRY, Rainbow Flags for Mumia/May 7 Mobilization & IAC
   KIM IVES, journalist with Haiti-Progres newsweekly

DATE:      Thursday, April 20, 2000 at 7 p.m.
PLACE:    International Action Center (IAC)
                39 West 14th Street, Room 206
                Manhattan (between 5th & 6th Avenues)

                -- call 212-633-6646 or (718) 434-8100 for more info

DONATION: $3, no one turned away for lack of money

International Action Center
39 West 14th Street, Room 206
New York, NY 10011
email: iacenter@iacenter.org