list: #3267: question on immigration: Grey replies

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< A friend of mine who is indigenous to Haiti (lived in Les Cayes now in P
 au P) really wants to come to US to work for a few months and needs a
 sponsor.  I met him about 4 yrs ago on a mission trip.  Was wondering if
 you happen to know how one becomes a "sponsor" of someone who wants to
 come to the U.S.?  I think one has to call the Consulate in PauP.  If
 you know any details or have any suggestions I would be most
 appreciative.

 Thank you >>

If the person is not a family member, someone has to put up a cash bond.  I
hope you won't take this the wrong way, but I DON'T suggest anyone do this no
matter how well you think you know the person.  The realities of Haitian
culture being what they are, you will be out a pile of money when that person
takes off for their cousin's house in Miami or whatever.

Remember that Haitian culture approves of victimizing "outsiders", and as a
non-Haitian that means YOU.  I don't care who is offended, that is the way it
is.  "Li kap peye, se blan li ye", is what you are going to hear.  Unless you
have some really good string on that person, they are not going to feel much
of an obligation to the sponsor.  Sad but true.

This is not exclusive to Haitians - just last week, half the Senegalese
Ballet disappeared after it's first performance in the USA.  I wonder who was
left holding the bag on that one!

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>