#3309: Haitian orphan's story draws no crowds: Coradin comments

From: Ahpaly Coradin <ahpaly@hotmail.com>

The Boston Globe story is on point in terms of describing the disparate
treatment that Haitians and Cubans get, but one of the underlying reasons
for this disparity is the relative weakness of the Haitian community in
South Florida compared to the formidable political clout and social cohesion
exhibited by the Cuban exiles.  Refugee policy in practice is first and
foremost about the politics of desirability:  groups who are given asylum or
refugee status are those who give the US government a political reason to
desire them in this country.  Haitians have made individual strides in the
US but as a community remain dissipated and therefore politically weak.
Without sufficient economic power and political presence, the US government
is neutral at best to our presence.  As upsetting as the Elian fiasco is on
many fronts, it should serve as a lesson, wake-up call and notice to
Haitians that until we start treating ourselves with more worth as
Haitian-Americans, no one else will and, very arguably, no one else should.