#3501: Burning Man Festival, Le Mystere de Papa Loko (fwd)

From:Racine125@aol.com

The Haitian traditional religious tradition has provided food for artists of
all sorts for years and years.  One wildly unexpected avenue of expression
was the 1999 Burning Man festival.

The Burning Man festival, a famous multi-sensual blowout held once a year in
the American southwest, in 1999 had a Vodou theme.  I was contacted and asked
to advise, and I was a bit apprehensive, but it soon developed that the
presenters of this event were NOT claiming to present an authentic Vodou
service, but an art event based on Vodou themes.  They were very respectful
of the tradition, and they also received input from both a Haitian Houngan
and a Haitian Mambo in the Jacmel area, sent a film crew there, and tried
their endeavor best, though unsuccessfully, to obtain visas for the Hougan
and the Mambo so that they could be present at the Burning Man festival.

To check out this fabulous event, go to http://www.burningmanopera.org/ and
click on Le Mystere de Papa Loko, Opera 1999.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>