#3509: Re: #3503: DeGraff explores Grey's LINGUISTIC arguments on "Culture Vulturis... Grey replies

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< Errors abound here:

 In Haitian Creole, "Mambo" should be written "manbo"   --- according to
Haitian
 Creole orthography. >>

Incorrect.  The word Mambo is not pronounced with an "n" and is not written
so in Creole.

 <<In Haitian Creole, "Racine" (= "roots") should be written "rasin" ---
 according to Haitian Creole orthography.

 In Haitian Creole, "sans" (in the sense of "without") should be written
 "san" --- again, according to Haitian Creole orthography.>>

I have already pointed out repeatedly that my first initiatory Houngan wanted
me to write my name in French, NOT Creole.

<< As for the syntax, "... sa te la daginen" does not seem to obey any rule
 that I know of.  I've asked around to check whether this would belong to
 some less-known variety of Creole, to no avail.>>

This is a sacred name, DeGraff, it is not a sentence with a subject and a
verb.

<<Bon manbo Rasin san bout ki te deja la, nan Ginen"  (please, note
spelling)>>

See above.

<< Grey did intend the meaning "roots without ends".  >>

No, actually it was my initiatory Houngan who intended that meaning.  "Racine
Sans Bout" is actually a rather common name among Houngans and Mambos, as is
Sa Te La.

<<But Grey seems to not
 realize that Haitian Creole "sans", unlike French "sans", does NOT mean
 "without" (see above).>>

I wish you would read what I wrote.  I repeat that my initiatory Houngan
intended me to write that phrase in French.  I freely confess that I do not
speak or write French nearly as well as I do Creole.

Now, deGraff, I have to say that you seem to have a personal ax to grind.
You know you are my neighbor?  I am right around the corner from you, in
Roxbury.  Wanna do lunch?  :-)

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>