#3556: Culture Vulturism: Grey replies to Settle

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< Sorry, but some of them DO charge. I was in Haiti
 in 1978 and my Haitian friends wanted to take me
 to see a public ceremony.  It was the first of
 November and there were many ceremonies going on.
  We were far out in the country, and definately
 not in a tourist area.  I was the only white
 person there.  I was asked to pay $10 for the
 previlage of attending while none of the other
 persons there had to.>>

Well, there you see - it is not customary for people to pay.  You were right
to refuse, and I commend you for it.  We never ask people to pay to attend
ceremonies at our house, and I have never been asked to pay.

Now, having said that, let me point out that it is customary for a well-to-do
participant to make small gifts to the house - a bottle of rum, candles,
whatever.  This is just a way of giving something in return, but it is not a
requirement.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>