#3557: Culture Vulturism: another view (fwd)

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< Just a few words about initiations: they are costly. The prices vary
 according to very many factors and they are never spelled out since, like I
 said before, they are set by the Spirits. Furthermore reputable hounfò
aren't
 marketplaces and there is no bartering; the same applies when shopping for
 sacrificial animals or any ritual objects. >>

Well.... not exactly.  Initiations cost money, BUT!  Some houses are
exhorbitant, some are not, some get their initiation in exchange for
services, such as drumming, and some get their initiation because the Houngan
or Mambo is just starting out and needs hounsis.

The prices are NOT set by the "spirits" (I think you mean the lwa) in all
houses, although the grade of initiation usually is.  And there is indeed
considerable bargaining between candidate and initiator, and I am not the
only author to comment on this.  Metraux has a passage about a woman who came
to a Mambo for initiation with nothing to bargain with but a straw mat.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>