#3572: A reply to Settle : Grey replies

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< Useless to say that I am the first one to tell them: "pa palé, mandé yo
you
 ti tchotcho, ou konnen blan sé kokoyé" (Stop complaining, make them pay
since
 they don't understand). >>

This is an incorrect translation of a racist statement.  Actually, I say
again, admission is NEVER charged at a Vodou service.  If the Houngan or
Mambo running the service wishes to extend hospitality to the visiting
foreigners, that is their privilege.  And as I have said before, it is
customary for well-to-do guests of whatever color or nationality or standing
in the Vodou religion to bring gifts, for example candles or a bottle of rum,
or a gallon of clairin, or whatever.

Even I, a Mambo asogwe of ten years standing, although I am frequently an
invited guest at the peristyles of other Houngans and Mambos, bring gifts of
rum or mouchoirs or decorated bottles of the sort used in Vodou services
anyway.  I think that instead of declaring that "blan se kokoye" and
demanding money, it would be more appropriate to *politely* explain to
visitors that it is appropriate for them to make a gift to the house.  That
way no one's feelings are hurt, and it is made clear that it is the *economic
standing* of the guest and not their color or nationality which makes it
appropriate for them to give something.

When I run a kanzo ceremony in Haiti, of course initiates pay.  Sometimes
people want to come and observe but not participate.  They pay observer fees,
because I have to feed, house, and generally care for them just like everyone
else.  Media people, television crews and so on, likewise are asked to pay a
fee.  Photographers with long careers in Haiti, most recently Chantal
Regnault who attended a part of our last kanzo, are permitted and even
encouraged to photograph what they wish, free of charge, because these
individuals are making a valuable contribution in their own right.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>