#3736: Manbo/anbago (fwd)

From: oloffsonram <oloffsonram@globelsud.net>

I'm not a linguist, though I've known one or two. What I've found is
that when an "n" is followed by a "b", in creole, to an American it
becomes an "m". This comes from the closing of the lips to get to
the "b". The way a native creole or french speaker avoids this
phenomenon is by going nasal with the "n". I first discovered this with
our song "Ambargo" which someone eventually corrected to "Anbago".
The "m" was coverted to an "n"(nasal) and the "r" was dropped as is
common in creole. In English, "embargo" has the "m". "Mambo" would
sound phonetically correct to someone who wasn't native to the
nasal "n" sound.

Richard Morse