#3818: A little logic! Slavin replies to Nadal

From: patrick sylvain <sylvaipa@hotmail.com>

Mr. Nadal,
  I do understand your opinion and you do have the absolute right to any
opinion. However, let's not confuse facts with opinions.

  In your piece, you seem to concentrate entirely on Aristide as the
quintessential "bad guy" who must be stopped by all costs and perhaps by all
means in order to save "your country."  Now, let's assume that you are right
about Aristide. Again, this is just an assumption. My question to you is:
where were you or your sense of patriotism prior to Aristide's government?
Were you an ally or an enemy to the previous regimes?  In your patriotic
opinion, have we ever had a democratic regime in Haiti? With your wealth and
your great sense of concern and care, how many hospitals, schools, public
roads and water fountains have you built?  As a concern Haitian who would
like to be informed, i would like to have your response.  Your honest
response that is.

  Now, you have had the privilege to travel and have connections to the
powers in Washington; and so, I am further assuming that you have a general
idea of how this country functions. Another word, you know the power, the
supremacy of the constitution? Yes! In this great country, when President
Clinton and other officials have allegedly broken the law, the military did
not start shooting on innocent people and taking over the country by force,
did they? Instead, right or wrong, they put the constitution to the test and
allowed the rule of law to take its course.  Mr. Nadal, have we ever had the
law as the supreme power of the land? Wouldn't it be nice for all of us to
be equal under the law and to reap all of the benefits we are enjoying in
this country?

  Mr. Nadal, since you seemed to be concerned about the survival and the
common welfare of our, "your", lovely country, what, in your humble opinion,
has the ruling class done for Haiti since 1804?

  What should be done to the business members who refuse to pay their taxes?
What should be done to the families or individuals who contributed large
sums to military in order to execute the 1991 "coup d'etats?"	Shouldn't
those people be prosecuted to the letter of law for violating the
sovereignty of the nation, assisting and contributing to the destruction of
innocents, for subverting the constitution and for bribing official members
of the arm forces?

  Mr.Nadal, don't you like the freedom you are enjoying in this country?
Wouldn't it be nice for all of us to be enjoying similar freedom in OUR OWN
COUNTRY?  What do you think??

Oh! A little introspection and reflection can go a long way? So, please
meditate on the atrocious conditions of Haiti and return to Haiti with all
the beauty, services, the law, schools, general infrastucture and see if
your chamber commerce could start thinking about removing "your lovely
country" from the pit that it is in. What do you think?

Sincerely,

Patrick Sylvain