#4038: Re: Chabon and Cachon : Gill comments

From: markgill <markgill@ecosse.net>

> There's been discussion on this list about whether the slaughter of the
Kreyol
> pigs in the early 1980s was an example of globalization.  I've never heard
that
> it was done in the name of an economic theory of globalized markets,
> although some have suggeted that it was partly motivated by a desire to
> export pig stock from the U.S. to Haiti (to replace the exterminated
Kreyol
> stock).

the use of heavy handed tactics by the US in not only Haiti but in parts of
Central America started long, long before there was even a term called
"globalization".....in fact, such tactics occured before multi-national
corporations existed....the big pig debacle is simply another incident where
such tactics were utilized......