#4045: Funny Names in Haiti : A comment

From: H P <kemsere@hotmail.com>

I'm writing from my alternate email address but I couldn't help but answer
to this post.
I totally this conversation. Many time have I met people with interesting
names in Haiti. One very nice man I knew that was a mechanic, his name was
Moliere, as in the playwright. Basically the equivalent of calling your son
Shakespeare.
An other woman I met was named Loufie, I never quite figured out what that
meant.
A friend of mine had an employee called Jean-Caillou (as in Jean-Pierre, the
name Pierre being synonymous to stone in French, and caillou being an other
word for stone)

However, I have to disagree about the Ajax comment.
I know a man named Ajax. I laughed the first time I heard it too. But in
fact, Ajax is a Greek mythological figure, like Perseus or Achilles. So even
though we do think of the cleaning product, Ajax is actually a real name.

All the time though going to haiti offers many smiles from the names you
hear.

Emmanuelle