3#4352: Re: Laleau queries #4326: CIP's Morrell on the Elections (fwd)

From:NLaleau@aol.com

To the Entire List, and especially Mr. Morrell if he is reading:

Believe it or not, this is not a rhetorical question... but why did I hear
nothing whatsoever in all the elections I observed with the OAS in 1995 about
this method of counting as being the constitutionally stipulated and correct
method of arriving at the correct percentages to determine if a runoff is
necessary?

I observed every election that year, observed all the runoffs, chased thugs
out of the polling places, as well as out of regional headquarters where the
regional votes were being tallied, wrote up detailed reports on all of my
team's observations -- in other words, I was a trained, official,
international observer of the process from start to finish, and NOBODY IN THE
OAS OR UN SAID ONE SINGLE WORD in my hearing or reading, either before,
during, or after these elections, about the need to calculate the percentages
based on the total number of votes cast.

I have no doubt that it is in the constitutional electoral law -- but if it
is so all-fired important, why didn't it come up in 1995?????

If thuggery is on the rise in the Lavalas / Fanmi Lavalas camp, I have no
support for it. But I still have the question -- why did the issue of correct
method for calculating percentages never arise before? Do you see why it
could be perceived by the patient masses of Haitian voters as a massive
provocation?

Nancy Laleau