#4453: Auguste replie to Durban on Criminal Deportees (fwd)

From:JRAuguste1@aol.com

Dear Bob: Is the following set in the format that you requested some time
ago? I don't want to irritate you, just asking for future reference.

Key words: Deportees, Removal, Convicted Aliens, INS, Returnees.

Convicted and sentenced criminals do serve their time in the United States
holding facilities and are then held by the immigration authorities and only
then are they processed for removal to their country of origin. In New York
State, more specifically Westchester County, the chances of a convicted legal
immigrant being deported from a county jail at the completion of a
misdemeanor sentence is generally slim to none. They are qualified for
removal but there is not an active chase after people in that category.
However if convicted of a felony one is most likely to be held in a state
prison. And at the end of such a felony sentence one is most definitely
confronted by the INS agents.

All this to say that the imposed sentence is satisfied first, then removal
proceedings are started.

So if serving time in a state prison expect to see INS at the end of your
incarceration. If convicted of certain misdemeanors watch out for the INS
check points upon re-entering the US from a stay outside of the US.

On an aside I have been reading the criminal returnees debate. But what
should the US do with people who are here as a privilege, a courtesy and who
are committing crimes? Why shouldn't it be able to remove them to their
places of origin.

I have also read about those people being criminally trained in the US. True
perhaps but didn't those trainees have the same opportunity as anyone else
here to learn something other than crimes?  Why should the US bear the burden
of their choices.