#4581: The Restavecs problem: My two cents (fwd)

From:Jepiem@aol.com

The problem of Restavecs in Haiti is more complex than we can envision,
looking at it from a north american perspective. Haiti is a country where it
is traddition still maintained, particularly in rural areas to have as many
children as you can, with the hope that some of them will survive,
considering the high infant mortality. As a result, many mostly rural
families end up with more children than their meager means allow them to
raise. In addition, the rural masses always kept way out off the national
circle and too far to the eating table (hence the Lavalas motto of "bringing
everybody to the table). Their children are deprived of education that is
provided to city children,  even if they learn a trade, most of the time it
won't be of use unless they move and settle to neighboring towns.The land
that they own if any, is barely enough or is not sufficiently productive to
guarantee a future for these children. The restavec solution was
traditionally like a pact borne out of necessity between the better off
families of the cities and the poor ones of the country, sort of a people
solution to a national problem. The children would move to live with a family
in the city and, in exchange for house chores would be provided with what
their families could not provide them. Greed, lack of humanism and often
cruelty, coupled with a heavy heritage of exploitve colonialism changed what
could have been a system of people cooperation for the good of the children
to one where abuses are too common. I don't doubt either that in some cases
that are not being heralded, it does work. Let us not rush to judgement and
throw the baby out with the bathwater. Again, it is very appropriate to shine
a light on the subject, but let's not pretend that with our standards we know
better and can impose ready made lawbook solutions. Legislation is certainly
in order, but this calls first for a national debate with all sectors
involved.
                                                                     Math
Jerome