#4742: At Dorismond rally, outrage over grand jury decision (fwd)

From:nozier@tradewind.net

At Dorismond rally, outrage over grand jury decision

by Greg Kirschling and Marilyn Anderson Staff Writer NEWSDAY NY
Sunday July 30 2000

A small but passionate crowd gathered in front of Patrick Dorismond's
apartment building in East Flatbush yesterday, demanding justice and
praying the 26-year-old security guard did not die in vain. It was a
crowd of friends and neighbors, people who had known Dorismond since he
was a boy. Some came to support the family, and others came to express
outrage at a Manhattan grand jury's decision last week to clear an
undercover detective in the shooting."My brother was killed for saying
no to drugs," said an angry Marie Andre Dorismond, 29, adding that she
is pinning her hopes for justice on the federal government.  U.S.
Attorney Mary Jo White of the Southern District said she would  review
the case to see whether any federal criminal rights laws were violated,
and Dorismond family members said they have no other hope.  "My brother
was profiled. His civil rights were violated," Dorismond said.  "The
feds need to get their butts in here." Yesterday's hastily
organized         march came just two days after a grand jury found that
Det. Anthony     Vasquez had acted properly the night Dorismond was shot
outside an     Eighth Avenue bar, in the early morning hours of March
16.  Dorismond died of a gunshot from Vasquez' gun. The grand jury's
report  concluded that, just before the shooting, Dorismond had thrown a
punch at another undercover detective after being asked for drugs.  Many
in the crowd marching through the neighborhood yesterday   expressed
frustration and disappointment, and they implored others to join  in.
"Who is our son? Patrick," they chanted. Much of the crowd's ire was
also directed at Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, who had portrayed Dorismond as
a hardened criminal in the days after the  shooting and ordered the
release of his juvenile and adult records. Outrage at Dorismond's
shooting turned to violence at his funeral on March 25, when 23 police
officers and four civilians were injured and 27 people arrested. Many
still face criminal charges, and some of the marchers yesterday
complained of unfairness.  "It's outrageous ... the cop that murdered
Dorismond and made the funeral necessary in the first place was
completely cleared," said activist Maze Hoffman, 27, of Corona. Marchers
also included neighbors like Tammie Tinsley, who recalled Dorismond as a
gentle and kind young man who bought her children ice cream. Tinsley
came to support Marie Dorismond, his mother.  "She'll never get her life
back," Tinsley said.  Earlier yesterday, at the Rev. Al Sharpton's
weekly rally at his National  Action Network in Harlem, lawyer Johnnie
Cochran pledged to get justice for the family in a likely civil-rights
lawsuit against the city.  "I'm going to battle with everything that I
have within me," Cochran said before a room of 300 cheering supporters.
"We're never going to give up . We're going to go forward and get
justice." Sharpton and Cochran accused Manhattan District Attorney
Robert Morgenthau's office of intentionally dissuading the grand jury
from indicting the undercover detective who shot Dorismond. Morgenthau
has defended the decision,saying the grand jury heard from 24 witnesses
and saw 42 exhibits. Sharpton, who has long called for federal oversight
of the New York Police Department, told the audience to "hold your vote"
if candidates-specifically, U.S. Senate combatants Rep. Rick Lazio
(R-Brightwaters), and Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton, and presumed
presidential contenders Gov. George Bush of Texas and Vice President Al
Gore-do not denounce the no-indictment decision.  "Before anyone goes to
the White House or the statehouse, they better stop  by the Dorismond
house," Sharpton said, adding that none of the  politicians he named had
called the grieving family. Dorismond's parents, along with his sister
and brother, attended the rally. So did Kevin Kaiser, Dorismond's friend
and co-worker who witnessed the killing outside the Wakamba Lounge in
midtown, and Kaiser's lawyer Sanford Rubenstein.  Kaiser has said he is
filing a $15-million civil suit against the city and the  police
officers in the case, alleging he was beaten and his civil rights
violated.