#4812: Re: #4794: Dorcé on Durban on Gr and Marnier (fwd)

From:LAKAT47@aol.com

<< How did I just know that my old friend Kathy Dorce would jump into the
 discussion about the Grand Marnier workers?  And I was also intrigued by
 Bebe Piere-Louis' insights, although I feel that people urging that those
 bad old factory job be shut down should really have something better to
 offer the folks who lose those jobs as a result.   >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I've missed you Lance.  Let me clarify something.  I didn't
advocate closing the factories down.  That is so not my call.
However, if they want to hold the people hostage....like "if
you don't like it here, leave, there are hundreds waiting to
take your place."  Then I say.....orevwa and don't let the
door hit you on the way out!  People uniting to get decent
treatment.....not by US standards but by third world
standards...how is that so bad?  It seems to me that there
are many US cities that are shadows of their former selves
because manufacturing has gone to third world countries so
the owners don't have to abide by safety, minimum wage,
and humanitarian guidelines.  They don't have to pay
overtime, and there is no limit to how long they may work
their employees or if they must give them breaks or time off.
It costs too much to be decent to one's workers it seems.
If manufacturing had to quit third world countries and come
back home to employ US workers.......I wouldn't shed a
tear.  I realize that there is nothing to take the place of
these companies in Haiti now....but the truth is, Haiti needs
to get back to the land.  Stop letting money leave the
country.

If I had money and wanted to help Haiti, that is, give
jobs to people, I certainly wouldn't open a factory.
No offense but factory work is too exploitive and the
goods don't even serve the populace in Haiti. I am
thinking you don't even use materials from Haiti to make
your belts do you?  If not, why not make items with
materials from Haiti?  And make items that will keep
money in Haiti.
<<Some pretty large operations in Haiti today are actually LOSING
money while still paying their workers peanuts.>>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Guess how much motivation a worker has to bust his
rear end being productive and efficient when he barely
has enough money at the end of a back breaking shift
to buy rice for his family???  People paying their workers
peanuts get what they pay for.  I have talked to young
men who didn't want to work in a factory (and this was
in the halcyon days of the early 80s) but had no other
choice as tourism was drying up.  They were bitter and
frustrated and resigned......a great combination for
production line workers.
<<Is there hope of landing that big contract with an
overseas' retailer which would get the sales up to cover the fixed costs?
Should we neglect our primary business to try and kick some life into a
dying dog?  Or would Kathy Dorce and Bebe Pierre-Louis suggest we simply
shut this place down tomorrow?>>
I don't think Bebe Pierre-Louis or Kathy Dorce suggested anyone shut
down anything.  I am impressed that you keep the factory open out
of altruistic feelings for your 25 loyal workers.  Good for you!  And I
wish you better business in the future.

Kathy Dorce~