#5031: Re: #5023: Re: Haitian poetry (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

I don't have access to beginning of this message, but some people would
argue that most of Haitians writers' works are not yet translated to English
(which was the argument of one of  my professors at Harvard in a Caribbean
Lit. course some years ago - when I asked him: Why most of Haitian writers
are left out in your discussions?). Some of Laraque's works are translated
to English (a bilingual poetry book available at Grolier'S Poetry [in
Harvard Sq.] ). There are other chunks of poetry works by Haitian writers (
in French  / Kreyol) that are translated in English. Accessing this
information and know who does what (in Haitian Lit.) is crucial. Keep in
mind few well-know translators of Haitian authors:

Boadiba (translator)
Carrol Coates (translator, French - English)
Daniel Legros (New generation of Haitian writers)
Jack Hirchman (great translator, Kreyol - English)
Ketsia Theodore (New generation of Haitian writers)
Maximilien Laroche (translator, lit. critique)

Please, add more to this list! [I just don't have a complete one] and
there's a translor who has translated some works by "Tonton Moriso" (Felix
Morisseau-Leroy) [I believe he is Corbetter]. There's a need for Haitian
works to be translated to English (not only to be circulated quickly around
the world, but also the young Haitian generation in Diaspora (who uses
mostly English and who reads mostly Danticat) has a thirst to read about
these people. And a last thing, take a look at the trilingual Haitian
Literary Magazine, "TANBOU" http://www.tanbou.com/1199Resources.htm

best,
ev
http://hometown.aol.com/mit2haiti/Dizan.htm