#5209: Fonkoze Ad Sign On (fwd)

From: Fonkozeusa@cs.com

A FURTHER RESPONSE TO THE ATTACK ON FONKOZE IN HAITI, AND THE KIDNAPPING,
TORTURE, AND MURDER OF FONKOZE EMPLOYEE,
AMOS JEANNOT

DEADLINE TO PARTICIPATE IS TUESDAY, OCTOBER 3, 2000

September 29, 2000

Organizations and Institutions supporting FONKOZE:

We will be running full page ads in the Haitian newspapers, Le Nouvellist and
Haiti Progres, next week (text below). We are hoping to have 50 or more
organizations and institutions sign on to this ad condemning the crime,
urging the Haitian government and the Haitian National Police to vigorously
investigate and bring those responsible to justice, and asking the people of
Haiti to respond with any information they may have in the case.

Please read the text below. If your organization would like to sign on,
simply e-mail us at fonkozeusa@cs.com and include the official name of your
organization or institution. We will not at this time be including names of
individuals, only organizations. The deadline for reply and inclusion as a
signer on the ad is Tuesday, October 3.

I also want to remind each and every one of you that we have set up a FUND
FOR AMOS to help in the costs of the investigation, the cost of the funeral,
and to care for Amos' family (his wife, 3-month old baby, and two younger
brothers). As a signer of the ad, I urge you to make a tax-deductible
contribution to this fund. Checks can be make out to Fonkoze USA, P.O. Box
53144, Washington, DC 20009 (please indicate FUND FOR AMOS in the description
line).

If you have any questions, please contact Leigh Carter at Fonkoze USA,
202-667-1277.

TEXT FOLLOWS:

The Community of International Support for FONKOZE Calls Upon YOU!

The Community of International Support for Fonkoze deeply mourns the
brutal murder of the bank's beloved employee Amos Jeannot, who was
abducted, tortured and then murdered in a daytime assault against Fonkoze's
main office in Port-au-Prince.

Fonkoze serves as a bank for the organized poor throughout Haiti. It is a
vital economic institution for thousands of Haitians who are struggling to
build a better future for themselves and their children. Amos Jeannot was
deeply committed to these goals and he died for them.

We represent over 50 international organizations. An attack upon one of us
is an attack upon all of us as we stand together with Fonkoze in support of
grassroots community development in Haiti. We condemn this cruel act and
demand that the Haitian National Police pursue this case vigorously and
apprehend and convict all those who participated in the financing,
planning, and execution of this attack against Fonkoze.

We pray that YOU search in your hearts and join us in delivering to
justice those responsible for the murder of Amos Jeannot. Far too many
crimes against the Haitian people have gone unpunished, including the
murders of Fr. Jean-Marie Vincent, Antoine Izmery, Guy Malary, Jean
Dominique, and many other good people of the community. We stand in
solidarity with the Haitian people to call for justice and an end to
impunity in Haiti.

Please help by giving us any information you might have. All information
you give will be held in strict confidence. If you can help, please call us
at 556-3910.

[List the names of all organizations signing on]

-