5416: Re:Briquet Project (Dr Keith) and some other reforestation activities (fwd)

From: WendyGG@aol.com

Hi, I guess its time I introduce myself,  I have been a silent listener for
the past 4 months, and then 2 1/2 years ago for about the same time.  Thank
you for the information and insight you have provided me.  My name is Wendy
Goodman,  I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Haiti for the past 2 years,
returning to the US this past June.  I lived in Jacmel, and was andeyo as
often as I could be.  My; service through Pisko is finished,  but Ayiti and I
are not yet finished.  I plan to return in January to explore our next steps
together.

But enough of my introduction.  I am a little familiar with the environmental
issues in Haiti.  I have friendsj (actually returned Diaspora) who are living
andeyo Jacmel and modeling and teaching self-feeding and sustainable farming
and living techniques.  Dr. Keith has been working to introduce his briquet
technology, my understanding is predominantly in the OKaye  region.  It does
indeed seem to have potential.  However, according to some folks who were
working with the communities to introduce the technology, there are some
problems of smoke and changing habits that need to be overcome.  The change
in using the briquet technology, would require a variety of changes in the
lifestyle of the users. While likely well worth it, it is nevertheless
significant change and will likely  take time and attention to take hold.

And while people will give lip service to replanting the trees they have
cut....even when saplings are available FREE from local pepinye,  People
don't seem to take replanting as part of their responsibility. There are
various tree planting programs.throughout the country, but peyisan don't seem
to GET the imperative of planting trees.....understandable when you've never
been able to look toward a relatively dependable future and you and your
family are hungry and likely at least 1 member is ill.

While I may have questions about the focus on cash crops, one of the positive
effects of coffee (and I believe kokoye) as a cash crop is that it needs
shade.  Thus people have a $ investment in keeping  and planting Zaboka and
Mango trees....they support the growing of the cash coffee crop.

There needs to be a sustained program to dialogue with and educate the
locals.  Make it easier for peyisan to replant and try new technologies.  It
is happening.  But very slowly. The amount of re education seems much slower
than the rate of deforestation.. When people are hungry and cash poor, chabon
is the way to go.

So,nan gwo,  I guess I feel there are some programs in progress that are
addressing the issue, there are potential solutions.  But it seems that more
community dialoque and mutual education process would facilitate the success
of reforestation and reusable resourcing opportunities.

If you are interested I can put you in contact with the folks living andeyo
Jacmel.  Their project is living off the land (suplemented by sale of the
jewlery and incense they make themselves.).  They garden for their living.
They have a Pepinye from which they give away saplings for exchange of a bit
of work, or service.  They teach kids and neighbors new techniques and ideas.
 They help people grow, and they call themselves Just Grow.

So thanks again for keeping the dialogue going.
have a great day
Wendy