5451: Re 5423: The phrase - a new version (fwd)

From: Guy Antoine <GuyAntoine@windowsonhaiti.com>

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/wales/newsid_1001000/1001878.stm
> This is the first time I have come across this version of the phrase - i.e.
> "Haiti, the poorest country in the Northern Hemisphere ..."

Yes, I'd noticed that, so I assume they heard about my complaints and
decided to use a variant of the phrase for innovation...  One question:
how come no one ever mentions the Eastern Hemisphere?  And which
are the poorest countries of the Southern and Eastern Hemispheres?
Wouldn't some just salivate at the prospect of calling Haiti "the poorest
country in the World, and of all the Hemispheres"?

To their credit, however, BBC uses the spelling "Vodou" for the majority
religion in Haiti. I was truly surprised, since major publications in the
U.S. appear stuck with "Voodoo" and all the "black" magic, "voodoo"
dolls and pins, zombies and lougawous associated with it.

Guy S. Antoine
Windows on Haiti
http://windowsonhaiti.com