5528: Re: 5493: Free zones for Haiti : Poincy comments (fwd)

From: caineve@idt.net

Talk!talk! talk! Just cheap talk! I hope the Ayitian government does not buy
any of it.

“Our perception is that Haiti can reverse that situation in the short range,
taking advantage of new trade facilities, including the passing of the
Caribbean Basin Initiative enhancement pact.”

1) To take advantage of “new trade facilities” one must have something to trade
in the first place. What does Ayiti have to trade that others want.

“He said that with the support of the private and public sector and the
international community, Haiti could become the emerging country of the
Caribbean.”

2) How would Ayiti become the emerging country when the international investors
are looking for efficiency in production? Good infrastructures, communication
and transportation, and the availability of a skilled labor force render such a
result, all of which are absent in the country. So what exactly is he talking
about?

“He foresees Haiti could consolidate itself as an attractive destination for
local and foreign investment in economic development projects, such as free
zones.”

3) There are no such things as foreign investments for economic development as
we think of in Ayiti’s case. Foreign investments that further economic
development are direct investments. Which crazy ones would want to have direct
investment in Ayiti when insecurity is king and political uncertainty, the
queen?

Mr. Capellán must really think that Ayitian authorities are stupid, to try to
lure them in his free zone skim in DR. Ayiti was rather a pioneer in cheap
labor. The menial production activities assigned to Ayiti in the 70s were far
to make Ayiti a pioneer in free-zone that would bring economic development.
That was the worst thing Ayiti had ever gotten itself into then. Today it is
paying the price. It had killed the hope of economic development in Ayiti for
reasons that I amply laid out in previous posts.

However, I am for aiming at Aytian cheap labor for the DR free zone, but not on
the ground cited above. If only it would be restricted to labor movement. That
would help Ayiti a great deal. The country would have the opportunity to devote
itself to better and sounder economic development strategies. It would benefit
Ayiti indirectly as a big chunk of the wandering labor force would be absorbed.
Hopefully, people would stop migrating to Port-au-Prince or those in Port-au-
Prince would leave for better opportunities somewhere else.

If the multinationals find an indirect way to use Ayitian cheap labor without
destroying the country’s mean of economic development, it’s great and I am all
for it. It remains to see if the Ayitian authorities would engage in economic
activities that would empower the local market after all.

Ayiti has lived, lives and will live
Mozeb

This message was sent through IDT.
http://www.idt.net/