5950: Observations from Haiti (fwd)

From: "Melinda Miles, Haiti Reborn" <mmiles76@yahoo.com>

Hello everyone,

I am here in Port-au-Prince with the International
Coalition of Independent Observers and I just wanted
to share with you a little of what we have been seeing
here in Haiti.

First of all, I want to let everyone know that the
situation being depicted by the international press is
unique to Port-au-Prince alone. Our observers are in
the North, Artibonite and Grand Anse and they all
reported a significant difference as soon as they left
the capital.

In Cap-Haitien and Jeremie there has been spontaneous
celebration in the streets. The feeling is much like
Carnaval and people are dancing and singing lavalas
songs.

As you could expect, the climate here in PauP is much
different. After the recent string of explosions many
people have decided to stay off the streets, avoiding
crowded market places. I was personally quite close to
the explosion at the airport on Wednesday and can
report that it was a very small explosion with only
one injury. The explosions seem to be intentionally
random with the result of making everyone feel
insecure no matter where they are.

There were rumors that people would not leave their
homes today but we have seen plenty of people on the
streets, just not as many as usual.

We are optimistic about the voter turn out throughout
Haiti but have some concern that the recent rise in
insecurity will affect Port-au-Prince. We look forward
to sharing more information with you as we receive it.

Melinda Miles
Coordinator, Haiti Reborn/Quixote Center
Co-Coordinator, ICIO