5958: Re: 5950: Observations from Haiti (fwd)

From: qret6394 <pharris@ou.edu>

At last, at last some semblance of balance to the otherwise
sensationalized accounts of what's going on in Haiti at the moment I
don't know about anyone else but I've HAD IT with lines like " fear
hangs over Haiti", "an atmosphere of fear and terror as palpable as the
pervasive dust" "Haiti on edge" "violence against foreigners", "warning,
warning, warning". As this report from on the ground suggests things
have gotten a bit (as usual) overinflated. In addition, I just hung up
from talking to a friend of mine in P-a-P and she confirms Melinda's
observations..things are not as bad as they are being made out to be in
the international press.. is this really any surprise???? This is not to
discount the tragedies in recent days as they did on fact occur...yet if
I wanted to hear about senseless acts of violence I could simply read
any US paper on any given day and I promise you won't hear that stuff
shot round and round the world a thousand times over in bold print. This
type of press is counterproductive and divisive. Report the facts and
leave out the generlaizing hyperbole. Its long past due that we keep
things in perspective.
Patti K. Harris
Universty of Oklahoma