6218: Re: 6213: Caricom item, Dorce comments (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

Affuller@aol.com writes:

CARICOM OBSERVERS DISPUTE OFFICIAL TURNOUT IN HAITIAN ELECTIONS
<...>
<<With those results, Haiti becomes a de facto one-party state, in which
Lavalas - whose name means "landslide" in Creole - controls the presidency,
27 of 28 senate seats, over 80 percent of the seats in the lower house and
nearly all of the mayoralties and town councils. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
So if the Republicans or Democrats win the presidency and most of the seats
in Congress, this would constitute a "de facto" one party state?  We are in
the middle of a constitutional travesty in this country and have no room to
besmirch Haiti's election.  If you describe what happened in this country
without using names but only relationships and situations, and did not
identify the country, anyone would think we were talking about a third world
country like Haiti.  In fact, the elections in Haiti went rather smoothly for
a democracy in such an infant stage.  I am sick and tired of the arrogant and
loud criticism I hear about Haiti.  I would rather hear support or nothing at
all.  I want the US out of Haiti's affairs.  If that means no money, then
let's go to Castro.  What good has US aid done for Haiti so far???  It's not
like everyone is eating now and if it is cut off, they will starve.  They are
starving now!  US aid is nothing more than bribe/blackmail money anyway.  It
and other kinds of giveaway charity does more harm than good and only serves
to keep the power dynamics extreme, with the (superior) givers feeling good
about themselves for giving without regard for how it effects the (inferior)
recipients.  It doesn't work.  So why be blackmailed?  I always wondered why
other countries hated the USA.  It is crystal clear to me now.  While I am
grateful for the fate that I was born in a place where the power elite allows
the masses to live comfortably and improve their lives, I am bitter that my
government does things to countries like Haiti with seeming impunity, just
because they can.  God help us all now...with Bush in the White House, Haiti
is in bigger trouble than ever (and we are in for four years of "stupid
president" jokes).

Kathy Dorce~