6286: bragging about health care-Bushey (fwd)

From: LBushey <lbushey@globelsud.net>

     keywords: Doctors, Hospital St. Damien, children

     I am writing to tell about the excellent care we received at the
     Hospital Saint Damien (aka Nos Petits Freres et Soeurs) in
     Petionville. It is the large white building at the top of Pan
     Americaine #117 just at the corner where you turn for Hotels Villa
     Creole and El Rancho. (phone 257-0426)

     This hospital has given me a whole new outlook on Haitian health care.
     As an American living in Haiti, I have had some pretty good
     experiences with some pretty good Doctors here but this place was
     EXCELLENT! I have been taking care of a 18 month old Haitian girl
     (like a foster situation) for a couple months. She weighed only 14
     pounds but was stable health wise. Then she took a turn for the worse
     and wouldn't eat or drink anything and I was scared with her high
     fever. So on American Thanksgiving Day I took her to the clinic at
     that hospital. We were treated so well! Overall this place impresses
     me because they are so respectful and caring. All of the staff that we
     encountered where professional and knowledgeable. The facilities are
     clean, good equipment and offered nice healthy meals. When we first
     arrived, during the relatively short wait, they offered my baby girl
     oral rehydrating fluid to drink. We paid 5 gourdes for the visit only.
     Her weight was now down to only 11 pounds. Then we were seen by the
     most wonderful Doctor but unfortunately I can't spell her name. She's
     the medical Director there. The Dr. diagnosed Rosie with measles among
     other infections. Because their beds were full and her condition
     contagious they were unable to admit her but kept her for the whole
     day on an IV fluid. I cared for her at home but 4 days later after
     elections when I saw no improvement, I took her back and this time
     they admitted her. Rosie stayed in the hospital for almost 2 1/2
     weeks. I spent a lot of time in the hospital there and during all
     those days I only have positive things to say about the staff and
     facilities. They did an in house x-ray for only $5.00 HD and all the
     medicines they gave were free also. There are a million little things
     I could brag about this great place but the biggest one is that the
     staff truly cares. It was so encouraging to me to see nurses who
     actually talked to the patients as well as cared for their needs. As a
     small token to thank the staff I wrote a glowing letter, donated some
     kids clothes, left cash for others who could pay some of the test
     fees, and gave some OTC meds I had. I 'hear' that they don't accept
     private pay patients but are there to help those who can't afford
     other health care. I also 'heard' that they won't deny anyone with an
     emergency since they keep Drs on staff all night. I have only touched
     the tip of explaing this place but wanted others to know, that yes,
     there is some excellent health care here in Haiti.