6461: I Think They'e Serious, Folks! (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

>From Haiti Progres:

"...the Democratic Convergence (CD), a small consortium of neo-Duvalierist
and social democratic parties, continues to loudly and daily assert on
Haiti's airwaves that the country is in the grips of a "Lavalas dictatorship"
which the Haitian people reject.

"The Convergence is now organizing itself as an alternative power," declared
Sauveur Pierre Etienne of the CD's Struggling People's Organization (OPL).
"We won't take power by ourselves. We will establish a provisional government
with civil society
organizations and other opposition parties. So everybody should be clear that
on Feb. 7 there will be a provisional government which will have the mission
of organizing a general election in the country... in no more than two years."

They said it, not me.

Has anyone forgotten what happened the last time there was an overthrow of an
elected government in Haiti?  Has anyone forgotten those rotting, pig-eaten
bodies?  Those horrible screams coming from the casernes and the FRAPH
offices?  That epidemic of rape?

No one can doubt that Aristide won the presidential election by a landslide
majority, for a second time.  How can anyone imagine that he can be overthown
again by any but the most foul, the most dastardly, the most horrifically
terrifying means?

I supopose that the murderers and torturers and patripoches will wait until
after January 20, when George Bush is inaugurated.  The UN won't act, the US
won't act... I think it is pretty clear to all of us what is going to happen.

So it's up to the Haitian people - unarmed, malnourished, impoverished,
exhausted.  The killers are betting they will allow the yoke of dictatorship
to settle around their necks agin - until "elections in two years" are held.
What for?  The election has already been held, and Aristide WON.

And what can I do?  I'll be there then - should I go galloping into
Port-au-Prince with my videocam, and risk getting my head blown off?  Should
I post like mad to the Internet?  Go join some human rights monitoring
organization, again?  Go get a gun myself?  What?  It's too awful, it's like
seeing a truck coming to run you over and not being able to stop it.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">