6467: Re: 6459: FWD - U.N. Secretary-General recommends ending mission in Haiti (fwd)

From: C&C Henrius <carolineislands@hotmail.com>

>By Don Bohning
>Knight Ridder Newspapers
>
>MIAMI - After nearly 10 years of intense international involvement in
>Haiti,
>the United Nations is calling for an end to a special U.N.
>civilian-advisory
>mission to the impoverished Caribbean nation...

I have read this same report time and time again.  The first time was when I
was leaving on a trip to Haiti about four years ago.  It actually scared me
at the time, as though the UN was actually doing something there that might
make the place safer for me.  Gosh, I felt so adventurous when I read how
the last of the UN troups would be flying out of Haiti the very day I
arrived!  I was so naive.  I did see a couple of UN trucks during my first
year in Haiti, and sometimes still do once in a while when in
Port-au-Prince, but for the life of me I can't figure out what on earth
they're doing other than burning gas and eating burgers and donuts at the
Baptist Mission in Fermanthe.  Would it really matter if they left, or is
this ongoing threat to bail out another good story to fuel the smear
campaign on Haiti, and now Aristide?