6491: GILMAN SKEPTICAL OF ARISTIDE PROMISES (fwd)

From: Stanley Lucas <slucas@iri.org>

HOUSE INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS COMMITTEE
PRESS RELEASE

DATE: Dec. 29, 2000
FOR RELEASE: Immediate
CONTACT: Lester Munson 202-225-8097 (les.munson@mail.house.gov)

GILMAN SKEPTICAL OF ARISTIDE PROMISES

WASHINGTON (Dec. 29) - U.S. Rep. Benjamin A. Gilman (20th-NY), Chairman of
the House International Relations Committee, today expressed skepticism that
Jean Bertrand Aristide will deliver on promises made to White House:

	"The promises being made by Mr. Jean Bertrand Aristide are
important.  The proof, however, will be in the implementation of those
promises. Regrettably, Mr. Aristide's record in this regard has not been
encouraging.  The conduct of our nation's future policy towards Haiti,
including evaluating any progress in Haiti, will be decided by
President-elect George W. Bush's administration.

	"On December 8th, I made my views regarding the situation in Haiti
known through a statement issued jointly with Senate Foreign Relations
Committee Chairman Jesse Helms (R-NC) and House Intelligence Committee
Chairman Porter Goss (R-FL)."