6742: Re: 6734: Gays in Haiti (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<<
From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

<<.."Benny"in Miami who had known since he was 12 that he was gay. ...a voodoo ceremony where the kinfolk
had gathered to cure this bewildered young man of his affliction.  Knowing that his "condition" would bring shame to the family, my young friend prayed very hard that those rites would rid him of his "evil ways". >>

That sounds a lot more Protestant than Vodouisant to me.

In fact, in Vodou we have a statistically higher percentage of gay members than there are gay people in the general population, specifically because Vodou does not in any way reject or stigmatize gay people.

I have just at this moment concluded a kanzo in which two gay white men attained the grade of Houngan sur point, and no one thought it inappropriate.  They can't have sex for 41 days after the kanzo, but that is the same for straight couples too.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html