6876: Re:Vodou, democracy, civil rights (fwd)

From: Ninaclara@aol.com

Dear Bebe,

My point was not that Vodou has achieved the practical status of religion in
the eyes of the state or that Vodouisants are not discriminated against in
many ways. This is clearly not the case. I wanted to point out that some
progress seems to have been made on these fronts over the last fifteen years
and to open up a discussion of what needs to be done to further the struggle
for democracy and equitable development in Haiti. I believe that Vodou is at
the heart of this struggle and that anyone interested in democracy and
economic development should be interested in advancing the cause of Vodou and
Vodouisants.

But how to do this? Where are the crucial issues? How are Vodouisants
defining them and struggling for them? How active are Bode and ZANTRAY? Can
they be said to 'represent' Vodou or the aspirations of millions of
Vodouisants? I think these are crucial questions. I also think they are more
fundamental issues for democracy in Haiti than how many people voted or
didn't in the presidential elections or a number of other banalities that
pass for discussion of politics on and off this list. I have had many
conversations and interviews both with Vodouisants and government
representatives over the last five years about these issues. But I have
rarely seen them discussed in the Haitian or foreign media. What's up?

You say you are a member of Bode. You have access to the internet and the
Corbett list. You say you are concerned about the rights of Vodouisants.
Educate us! But don't just tell me that the conference between Vodouisants
and the government was demagoguery because nothing came out of it. How can
you say nothing came out of it if you weren't there and weren't aware of what
was being asked for? I also think it is foolish to blame the lack of progress
on the death of Herard Simon or the self imposed exile of Max Beauvoir. You
mean to tell me without these two men Vodouisants cannot organize? If that's
the case things are in a sorry state.

You mention cases of persecution of Vodou. Concerning the PNH reports. I hear
them rather frequently on the radio and have yet to hear someone listed for
being an Oungan, Manbo, loupgarou whatever. Do you know specific cases of
Vodouisants unfairly arrested or detained? If you had such a list, these
cases would concern human rights organizations and people could be mobilized
to defend these people. You also speak of persecution that went on during the
dechoukaj. This is probably one of the least understood pieces of modern
Haitian history and incredibly complicated. Has anyone thought of compiling a
written report compiling oral histories, radio lumiere broadcasts etc.? At
least then we would have something solid to work from.

I happen to think that one of the crucial tests of this new government is
going to be its willingness to grapple with the historic marginalization and
discrimination of Vodou and Vodouisants. What are Vodouisants going to do to
demand their rights? And how are they defining those anyway?

Respe,

Nina