6881: Fw: re Poem of William Wordsworth. 2nd febr. (fwd)

From: jacqualine labrom <ljacqui@haitiworld.com>

I thought this may be interesting for the Corbeteers - a poem by the famous
William Wordsworth. One of my tourists sent it to me.

TO TOUSSAINT L'OUVERTURE

Toussaint, the most unhappy Man of Men!

Whether the rural Milk-maid by her Cow

Sing in thy hearing, or thou liest now

Alone in some deep dungeon's earless den,

0 miserable chieftain! where and when

Wilt thou find patience? Yet die not; do thou

Wear rather in thy bonds a chearful brow:

Though fallen Thyself, never to rise again,

Live, and take comfort. Thou hast left behind

Powers that will work for thee; air, earth, and skies;

There's not a breathing of the common wind

That will forget thee; thou hast great allies;

Thy friends are exultations, agonies,

And love, and Man's unconquerable mind.

Jacqui Labrom

VOYAGES LUMIERE