6978: A VIEW FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE (fwd)

From: GuyetSueR@aol.com

After reading some articles about the inauguration from different U.S.
papers, and finding them all so predictible, Iv'e decided to share with you,
my day in front of the Palace.
I posted myself early at 8.00am. at the fence right in front of the grand
stand. There I met many Haïtians who had slept right there on the sidewalk,
so as to have a place of choice when Aristide came.
I spent all my time there, talking to all about the significance of the day
or being accosted by many who would explain to me in different ways the
importance of the event for them. All said they placed all their hopes in
Titid, how he would make their lives better and things like "After God there
is Titid". A gang of small street kids came right to me only to tell me that
from now on Titid would take care of them.
I finally left my spot at the fence, after a rumor went around that Titid was
finally in the Palace . At that very moment there was a rush for the fence by
all the people in back of us. This crush of people being a little to much for
me, having already thoroughly roasted under the hot sun, I thought it better
for me to just walk around Champ-deMars   and soak in this incredible
carnival atmosphere while taking pictures. Some people actually approched me
asking that I take their picture. I explained that I could'nt very well give
them the pictures later, which is what I usually do, but they said that just
knowing that they had their pictures taken on this great day was enough for
them. RaRa bands and big bands on floats kept that sea of people happy. I
have to say here, that I never saw a reporter anywere outside the fence, even
though many on the Palace lawn seemed not to know what to do while waiting
for Aristide.
I finally left Champ-de-Mars at 2.30pm. knowing that I had observed something
very special.
It was strange that all of the big U.S. networks had nothing on the
inauguration, could this be explained by the lack of bombs or blood in the
streets?
Guy Renaud