7208: Re: 7188: Oral history if Toussaint Louverture (fwd)

From: robin boucard <robinboucard@hotmail.com>

I am no expert on Touissant but i think that one matter needs to be
clarified regarding this crucial figure in Haitian and world history--and
that is who he really was.  For instance, there is this tendancy to speak of
Toussaint as an "illiterate" or man who never traveled outside the island.
(thanks to distortions in our history books etc...) Many years ago, there
was research carried out on Toussant and many important works were found on
him in the NY Public library as well as in the African American library in
NY.  I have seen pictures of Toussant that do not resemble the man that we
have been seeing in the history books.  Moreover, there is documentation of
Toussaint making important visits in Versailles, etc... One can even find
documentation of Toussaint in Russian archives.  So all this to ask the
question, "Who was Toussant really?"  I think we may find that we are
dealing with an even more powerful and educated figure here.  Maybe we
should start studying this matter more closely in order to do justice to his
legacy as well as to Haiti's legacy.
Thank you for the air time.