7254: Edmond Laforestrie

From: gilles hudicourt <hudic@videotron.ca>

The following message was posted in
http://genforum.genealogy.com/haiti/index.html  Does anybody have further
information on this Haitian 19th century artist ?

+++++++++++++++++

URGENT - YOUR HELP REQUESTED!

For a Sotheby's London 'European Sculpture & Works of Art' catalogue
entry, we are researching details on the sculptor LOUIS-EDMOND
LAFORESTERIE, born Port-au-Prince. Our sale on April 27th, 2001 will
include a larger-than-life size white marble figure of a bacchante.
However, we cannot find out any further information on him.

It would appear that he designed a Haitian Gourde in 1882, struck by the
Paris Mint. We have also found out that the Ministere haitien des Finances
was called Charles Laforesterie at around this time. Could Louis-Edmond
have been his brother or son? We would be interested to hear from anyone
who can shed more light on the Laforesterie family and perhaps provide
details of his birth and death dates.

Sincerely,

Simon Stock
Sotheby's London