7545: Re: 7432: Usefulness of spring break trips to Haiti (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 03/21/2001 12:41:23 PM Pacific Standard Time, Shirley Jean
<shirle_jean@hotmail.com> writes:

<< All of the trips consist of going to orphanages and
 hospitals to give toys, schools supplies, and used clothing.

 While I recognize that these are essential needs and will benefit the
 children and people that receive the donations, I can't help but question
 the whole idea of groups of students going on spring break or missionaries
 going to Haiti to help all "those Haitians" in need. In the pit of my
 stomach, I sense overtones of white man's burden type rationale. Are they
 seeing a fellow human being or just some poor, helpless Haitians? Is it all
 right that people go because they get to see for a week the poverty in the
 "poorest country in the Americas" when they are bringing supplies for an
 orphanage in the process? I also question the dependency that is fostered by
 all of these "charitable donations".  >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I apologize for not responding sooner, but this is an excellent question and
I had to think about it for a while instead of giving my first response.
That Haiti has needs so great that the well seems bottomless, and empty to
boot, is undeniable.  That people giving sustinance supplies to Haitians
keeps some people from starving to death is also true.  I also know that
exposing people, who would otherwise know nothing about the country, or only
the media's take, to Haiti and Haitians can only add to Haiti's list of
friends and advocates.  These people come back to the US and disabuse the
average American of their mostly mistaken notions of the country and the
people.  So in these ways, having college students come to Haiti for what
ever reason is probably more positive than negative.  But I still maintain
that giving things to people is NOT the best way to help.  Especially in this
case where it is now a big part of the economic system.  People learn to hold
their hand out.  They take what is offered but it diminishes them.  No matter
how kind and benevolent the giver is, they are above the recipient in
stature.  Gratitude becomes resentment.  And the person dependent on the
generosity of others learns to manipulate and outright lie for needed or
unneeded favors.  As it is now, it will take generations to rid Haiti of the
welfare mentality, and the notion that big brother knows what Haitians need
more than Haitians do.

There is a classic story of an American asking a Haitian why they don't fill
the potholes in the road to Jacmel.  The Haitian says, "The French built the
road, let them fix it."       Se sa.

Kathy Dorce~