a1388: Re: 1363 Opinions sure do differ (fwd)

From: Lonbrit Ayisyen <lonbritayisyen@hotmail.com>

I was absolutely amazed at the comment from Fr Graves :

               "Lavalas is the ruling party, elected by the
               majority of normal Haitians. The Convergence
               is a tiny group of malcontents with a
               negligible following."

To insinuate that the majority of the "Normal" Haitians could have elected
the Lavalas party, who do you imagine the rest of these "normal Haitians"
voted for?  Are you suggesting that of the rest of the Haitian people are
"abnormal"?

Regardless of what you think, of these 'abnormal' Haitian people, they  have
a right to disagree with a government that has not managed to take hold of a
growing anarchy.. a government that has mishandled it's funds,and not
managed to create an environment worthy of growth, both economically and
socially.
It is the "job" they have taken on, willingly, with undeniable support, and
one that they have FAILED to do.  No excuses are acceptable !! Aren't all
Haitians entitle to expect more of our government !

These 'abnormal' Haitians have a right to freely join any organization which
shares their ideas... isn't that democracy?  What would democracy be if only
one view was accepted or allowed ??..

Some of this tiny group of the 'malcontents' you speak of, are in Krome (a
detention center in South Miami)since December 3rd 2001,..  these
'Convergence supporting,abnormal Haitians', who felt the need to leave their
homeland in fear of the Lavalas 'Chimeres', who threathened their lives, for
rallying against the government.   The rest, I assume, are in Haiti- working
their tails off, in a very insecure environment, with little or no public
assistance, or abroad, critizing the Government for having failed at their
most basic of responsibilities :

          Making Haiti a place for Haitians (normal and abnormal),
             to live and prosper, in freedom.

This should be all of our concern.  Diversity in arriving at that goal, can
be a challenge we all just have to deal with.  I am not suggesting that this
government's job is easy.. but a little less extravagance, and a little more
elbow grease, with or without criticizism is demanded!  If things are done
in good will, the rest of us "Abnormal Haitians" will jump on the moving
"band wagon".

Shame on you Fr. Michael Graves, for thinking there could be any other word
to describe the people of Haiti, other than as : HAITIAN.
No other adjective should ever be used!